Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Boring, I Guess...

How do you deal with the realisation that fundamentally, you are a boring person? It is a difficult idea to come to terms with when have to consider it all in real terms, what it amounts to and what it really means both in the short and long term for your own internal perspective. It is perhaps the most enduring remark that a person I once termed a friend made on me, was to term me boring. I guess despite the strenuous denial that I engaged in at the time, this is my testament of surrender. It is an admission that they were correct.

What I a’m not so sure about is whether that really amounts to startling admission on anyone's part let alone mine, and whether in the long run that really matters. I say that because in my mediocre and limited opinion that in fact most people are boring people, and that interesting people are exceptionally few and far between, people who can transcend most of our narcissistic fascination with ourselves, due to the fascination they present as their lives being. I would suggest that most of the rest of the people are in fact quite boring.

On the other hand I think it might equally be argued that it would be possible that some people control or subsume the drama much better then most people do, that some are able to hide the drama that their lives inevitably have with better concealment, or that they exude more of either an aura of imperviousness or are more able to keep control of their world. I don't think I am like this, the crazy in my world is quite non-existent, except when I run in to the net creators of it in those of the super-dramatic lives.

There are only few exceptional souls that would really hold our attention, who either bring enough drama into their life or invent enough artificial drama to keep up with their own exciting life. The fundamental nature of people I believe is that 99.5% of us are in fact rather humdrum and boring, that we can doll up our lives on demand, but inside ourselves we donĂ‚’t really think that they are that truly fascinating. We think that they are instead pretty normal, pretty average, pretty much on the straight and narrow. Or maybe I am just making excuses for my own perpetual boredom with myself and my life, who knows.

I don't really, do you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your friend make the comment base on his/her definition of boring? Just because your friend enjoys jokes or hanging out or whatever and you happen to not like these things doesn't make you boring. In the same way I don't think you can say most people are boring (or not) because each of us defines it differently, i.e., we all have different interests.

Brandon said...

Sorry for the late comment :) I'd have to agree with dom on this one. I believe that everyone of us holds different quirks that make us interesting. It is these things which differentiate us from each other. I still remember a Mo who could always counter someone's dumb remarks or jokes with some reply that would leave you thinking before you 'got it'. And that's only one of the things that make you special.

A person who frequents bars every friday night would find those who tend to stay at home to enjoy a nice game of chess rather boring - but have you found the other chess players around you?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we always wanna be the hero or heroine in the movies/drama/...

but then, if u think about
making a movie of ur own life

you realise
your life is far more interesting and beautiful~

Keep smiling cuz life is a camera !